Collectively, Generation Z and millennials range from 10 years old to 41 years old. This is a HUGE market! Most likely, your products and services appeal to individuals in these age ranges, which means you need to find creative ways to connect with them. And as we know, there is a big difference between someone who was born in the 1980s vs in the 2000s.
Gen Zs have grown up alongside the internet, directly affecting how they spend their money and what they spend it on. Let’s look at what makes Gen Zs and millennials tick and how to use branded swag to connect with these two distinct audiences.
Millennial Marketing and Swag
Millennials crave a sense of purpose. They care more about experiences than ‘things’. Due to this way of thinking, millennials prefer to purchase products from brands they identify with. You’ll have to work harder to capture a millennial customer, but once you do, you’re likely to enjoy continued brand loyalty.
In terms of swag, millennials don’t just want another pen or notepad. They thrive on experiences and how brands make them feel. Some of the most popular promotional items for millennials are:
- Reusable totes to cut back on waste
- Power banks to stay connected to friends and family
- Comfy t-shirts and hoodies – vintage or nostalgic designs are especially popular
- Tumblers and water bottles for on-the-go hydration
- Socks – colorful, quirky – you name it! And it’s a great PR tool for social media
Generation Z Marketing and Swag
Moving onto Gen Z, this audience is growing up, with the oldest of the bunch already in their mid-20s! Social media and the internet have been a staple in their lives, so they’re even harder to engage than millennials.
Gen Zs do share some similarities with millennials. For example, they like brands with a purpose, and they respond well to altruistic, green and value-driven campaigns.
However, Gen Zs shop online more than millennials, and they are less persuaded by discounts and online ads. Instead, they’re more likely to purchase products that are practical or valuable in their lives – not just ones that are a good deal.
Popular branded swag items for Generation Z include:
- Phone accessories like chargers, PopSockets and special camera lenses
- Eco-friendly products such as bamboo pens and compostable silverware
- Smart tech products are a great status symbol
- Inclusive, unisex clothing like beanies and t-shirts
- Patches and pins to show off individuality
Millennials and Gen Zs have some things in common, but they are their own distinct audiences. When choosing swag for your customers, be sure to keep these factors in mind. The good news is that branded swag appeals to both generations, as it builds meaningful connections that will outshine your competitors.